Thursday 15 May 2008

A visit to the shIT department

The layouts I put online. The morning (or afternoon to be precise) after and they still look good. So good in fact, I decided to go into Woodlane to print the bad boy out.

Double clicking on the newly placed icon in My Documents, Windows then asked me to chose what program (as opposed to programme, bloody Americanised language) to run it with. 'Why, Quark you piece of shit.' I exclaimed to the monitor in front of me. Clicking through a few boxes and menus I arrived at Quark. 'This is not a valid Win32 execution', the delightful pop-up box told me. Hmm, old version of Quark running perhaps? I thought. I tried another computer in the newsroom. Same problem.

Skipping through the spring rain to the library, I found that the computers in their IT suite didn't even have Quark on the desktop. Time to give away some man points and ask for some help. It turns out the bloke in the IT office isn't an IT engineer, he just works in there. 'Try the Fox Suite', I was told.

Down to the Fox Suite I went (that's the IT room near the canteen, not the see through mint endorsed by a polar bear). Same problem once more. And a double whammy, as there was no one in the office to help.

Fuck it, I'll go home and bash my head against my own brick walls, I thought. Stay posted for more / if any progress.

No comments: