Monday 19 May 2008

Final Thoughts

And it's finally done. All I have to do is chop off some endy bits using the guillotine (forgive any spelling errors, I'm tired and IE doesn't do spellcheck) and hand this portfolio in. (And come up with a wall display by Friday of course.)

A number of stories didn't work for a number of reasons:

My easy sex article for Front didn't work due to a combination of laziness on my part (I'm SURE it can be done - it just felt a bit weird in a 'Am I whoring myself out here?' kind of way), the poor rate of responses (two wrote back a few times, that was it) and general obstacle of having a shed load of other work (like the dissertation, almost forgot about that lovely experience) on at the time.

The urban exploration thing didn't happen because nobody was willing to talk at any length about it. It's definitely a strange past time, pursued ossibly by strange people. I don't like saying nasty things about people I don't really know, so I'll leave it at that.

You can see through the reems of ideas that finally didn't make it (you got three articles after all) and although many were concocted whilst under the influence of influencing intoxicants, I was very pleased to have Joe Barnes (your former student) of Front exchange and commend my ideas and pitches. He's said to come up to London for some work experience in the near future, so when I've got a few quid I think I'll take him up on it.

What I've learned: That's an interesting nail to bang into your own grave (or blog). It seems to me that the simpler the idea and the most obvious a hook to it, the better story it will make and easier it will be to write. There's no point in chasing after the invisible man to do a feature on super heroes. It ain't gonna happen. Before I ramble on anymore (I've been up for a good 30 something hours now), I believe that I have written each article for the audience it was intended (music, tv, 'gents' magazines). And what I've learned, really, from over the last three years: I over think stuff, way too much. Gotta stop worrying, umming and arring, and get on with it. (That's nice and profound isn't it?)

No comments: