Thursday 6 March 2008

Feature idea #473211

And they said it would never happen. Well, 'they' didn't, I did. A dissertation avoiding few pints (and a few more than is maybe responsible) has led to the circumstances in which I've come up with an idea for a feature. Forgetting that it's almost four o'clock and I'm sat around a friend's (a former journalism student I may add, although the relevance is entirely coincidental), I think I've come up with a focused and interesting story. Or the beginnings of one at least.

Last month, Falmouth band Julian Gaskell And The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists did a tour of Eastern Europe playing in bars, restaurants and primary schools in Czech Republic, Slovakia and Poland. (I met them out in Poland incidentally.) I want to have a chat with the guys, record an afternoon's interview and write a portrait piece for Stranger magazine - in a local band gets out kind of feature. They've got loads of photos which I can use to add to the visual commentary, and some videos on Youtube like this one. By chance it's a video of a gig that I attended. They've also got plenty of others, like them playing in a school gym.

It'll be a good 2000 words, and with their photos I think Ill be able to bang out a decent layout (or as good as). Back of the net!

1 comment:

jimbob baggins said...

hey, i think this idea sounds cool. did you ever write it?

mwilko@gmail.com